What Are They and How Do They Look Like?
- The so-called “national consultation surveys” are direct marketing campaign letters sent to every Hungarian household on behalf of “the government of Hungary”.
- They are supported by a countrywide billboard campaign, with full support from the state and Fidesz-dominated media as well as ads in pretty much every local paper.
- The campaign against George Soros and his alleged “Soros plan” is the 7th campaign of this kind by the Orbán government since 2010.
- They supposedly “ask the opinion of the people” but their results are not public and the questions are rather rhetorical – and often filled with fearmongering and scapegoating.
- They are heavily criticized not only for being “hate campaigns” but also for being part of Fidesz’ efforts to set the political agenda – at the taxpayers’ expense.